Joshua D. Rogers is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Arete Wealth, Inc.
As CEO, Joshua is the steward of the firm’s financial management products and services, offered through more than 100 offices and over 265 advisors nationwide.
Arete Wealth is a full-service FINRA and NFA Member Broker-Dealer, Registered Investment Advisor (RIA), and Insurance firm focusing on wealth management for high-net worth individuals and institutions, alternative investment access, venture capital, and private equity programs. The firm has boasted year-over-year revenue growth every year under Joshua’s tenure since he founded the company in 2007.
Early in Joshua’s career, he was accepted and about to attend Georgetown University Law Center but instead decided to defer and accepted an offer to join the newly formed research & development lab Walker Digital in Stamford, CT to pursue e-commerce innovation. There, along with founder Jay Walker, he co-invented several patents, including the “name your own price” e-commerce patents behind Priceline.com. His inventor career took a turn towards financial services when he rose in the ranks of a brokerage firm on Wall Street, then American Express Financial Advisors, which spun off to become Ameriprise Financial. From New York City, he relocated to Washington DC and then moved on to Chicago, where both he and his firm are based today.
Joshua’s industry affiliations thus far include his landslide election victory in the fall of 2015 when he was elected to represent all 3,600 small broker-dealers across the country on the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority’s National Adjudicatory Council (NAC). During his 3-year term on the NAC, Joshua was a fierce advocate for investor protection but balanced with combating regulatory overreach.
In his expanded business and community works, Joshua has served on the Board of the Chicago chapter of the Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO), is a member of the Economic Club of Chicago, has previously served on the Board of Illinois Humanities, and currently serves as an Elected Trustee of the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago.
Joshua is a graduate of St. John’s College in Annapolis, Maryland, where he has served multiple terms as an Elected Member of the College’s Board of Visitors and Governors with oversight of the College’s Finance, Investment, and Audit committees. He has previously taught Entrepreneurship classes at both of the College’s Annapolis and Sante Fe campuses.
Joshua finds energy to lead an accomplished professional career by balancing it with his personal interests. He is often seeking adventure with his two children, Camille and Jackson, as they explore new global travel destinations. He is also a voracious reader, a published writer, an art collector, loves golf and all racquet sports, and enjoys off-road adventure motorcycling.
“Do not delay. The difference between greatness and mediocrity is not putting off what can be done today for tomorrow.”
-Rabbi Joshua Haberman, Washington Hebrew Congregation
David Hock comes to Arete Wealth Management with 16 years of experience in the financial services industry. His fascination with the complexity of the markets and building profits through in-depth analysis led him to the independent broker-dealer and RIA niche, where he developed expertise in financial planning and investment products, as well as an interest in private placements. Working in private placements, David notes, allows him to “work closely with the management of companies,” providing access to and understanding of a company’s inner workings in ways that a simple stock purchase does not.
David is Arete’s Chief Operating Officer and Financial Operations Principal. His focus is on product structure and development, due diligence and operations management. He has served in similar capacities throughout his career at independent Broker Dealer and Registered Investment Advisory firms.
When David is not helping to run Arete, his main hobby is fly fishing – which has taken him throughout the Western United States, and countries around the globe. He lives in Lake Oswego, Oregon (outside Portland) with his wife and two children.
David holds a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Quantitative Economics and Decision Science from the University of California, San Diego. He also holds a FINRA securities licenses Series 4,7, 24,27,63 and 65.
Before joining Arete in 2013, UnBo (Bob) Chung was Senior Regional Counsel for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) for nearly a decade. While with FINRA, Bob investigated hundreds of cases and brought over 150 enforcement actions against firms and individuals for violations of FINRA Rules and Federal Securities Laws. Prior to FINRA, Bob was a prosecutor in Chicago specializing in complex financial crimes and government corruption. He has never lost a criminal trial or a FINRA enforcement hearing.
As Arete’s General Counsel, he ensures the firm is fully compliant with the securities industry’s myriad rules, laws and regulations. Bob received his B.A. from Oberlin College and his J.D. from Loyola-Chicago School of Law. He received a second law degree, a LL.M., in Financial Services Law from the IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law. He also holds FINRA securities licenses Series 7, 24, and 66.
Nate Moster is Chief Marketing Officer of Arete Wealth Management, the financial investment entity within the Arete family of companies.
Arete focuses on wealth management for high-net worth individuals and institutions, alternative investment access, venture capital and private equity programs. As CMO, Nate is responsible for building the company’s brand through marketing, communications and media for 100 offices and 265 advisors nationwide.
Prior to Arete, Nate has spent the past 20 years in marketing and its related disciplines. He’s worked across large corporations, not-for-profits, and small businesses both in full-time and consultant roles. Sectors of his experience include consumer packaged goods, healthcare IT, and financial services with companies including Procter & Gamble, Monster.com, McKesson, Allscripts, and Fidelity Investments.
Nate flexes his creative muscles to identify where challenges and opportunities lie. An energetic facilitator and experienced Nielsen-certified moderator, Nate has lead thousands of participants through workshops, focus groups, and other organized dialogues. He’s authored countless marketing strategies, produced hundreds of videos, written many speeches for corporate CEOs, and orchestrated over 100 large-scale events.
Nate graduated from Xavier University in Cincinnati, OH with a degree in communications and advertising and pursuit of a secondary focus in business.
Heidi was hired as one Arete’s first employees. After filling many critical roles in both Finance and Operations, Heidi now leads the Operations Team at Arete Wealth as Senior Vice President, Operations.
Bringing over 30 years of experience, Heidi oversees trading, billing, and human resources. One of her first tasks was implementing a massive technology uplift, implementing custom-built systems to better fit the needs of Arete Wealth financial advisors. Heidi leads a highly efficient, solution-focused team and continues to work closely with the other executives to ensure financial advisors and their clients receive top-tier services.
Prior to Arete, Heidi proved her impressive management skills in various industries including hospitality, food service, and veterinary medicine. In those previous positions, she strategized and implemented business and operational improvement plans for both large and small companies.
J.R. Thacker has worked in the financial services industry since 1996. He started his career as an agent and registered representative for a major company. Within a few years, he founded his own firm, specializing in retirement planning for individuals with offices in three cities. His unique approach to retirement investing proved popular and his firm was voted “Best Financial Planner” 7 years in a row by readers of the area newspaper.
In 2008, he took over as president of Center Street Securities, a securities broker dealer based in Nashville, TN and helped grow the firm to span over 30 states. In 2021, J.R. and his firm joined the ranks of Arete Wealth, he assumed an executive position of Senior Vice President, Business Development for Arete Wealth.
J.R. has received numerous awards for his work in the financial field and his articles frequently appear in financial industry publications. He is also the author of “Index Interest – The Missing Asset Class” and is a regular speaker at national training events for financial advisors.
Karlton Kleis is a Founder and Partner of Insight Wealth Group. Karlton received a degree in accounting from Northwestern College and an MBA from the University of Iowa with an emphasis in structured finance. He began his career as an auditor in the health care field, but soon moved to work at a Top 100 Independent Financial Advisory firm. As the firm grew, he served in several management positions, including Controller and Chief Operating Officer of the firm.
Karlton has also been instrumental in the start-up of numerous financial services companies, including a broker/dealer and a third party administration firm. He has spent the last several years as an investment banker with a team of industry professionals both identifying and creating investment opportunities for high net worth investors. He is a member of the investment committee and serves as Due Diligence Officer for the broker/dealer, Arete Wealth Management.
Karlton and his wife, Allison, live outside Grimes, Iowa with their three children, Emerson, Griffin and Greer. In his spare time, Karlton serves on the Board of Directors of the Mercy Foundation and enjoys spending time at the ball field watching his children play softball and baseball.
- Partner, Financial Resource Management, a top-producing branch with Arete Wealth
- Past leadership at IMB and Mass Mutual
- Finance Degree from University of Georgia and MBA in Finance from Georgia State University both with concentrations in securities & investment planning as well as financial planning
- Founder and CEO of Redbox DVD Rental, leading the business from scratch to over $2 billion in revenue, over 2,000 employees and 40,000 locations; President of Coinstar, a publicly traded kiosk business
- Operating Partner at Pritzker Private Capital, co-leading the firm’s activities in the Services Sector
- Early employee at two different startups which both achieved an IPO; investor and board member in numerous early stage ventures
- BA in Philosophy from the University of Michigan; MBA from Harvard Business School
- CFO, Trilogy Real Estate Group – a firm with over $2B of investments in multi-family real estate assets
- Launched and managed a Florida-based mixed-use real estate development firm which developed and entitled over $400M in private and public private partnership projects
- Industry leader in the development and distribution of market alternative investment products sold through the Broker-Dealer, Family Office, RIA and Mutual Insurance Company sales channels
- BS in Economics from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- Retired, Participating Managing Director, Goldman Sachs
- 27 years as a Compliance manager at Goldman Sachs, including Global Head of sales and trading compliance, and Head of International Compliance
- 10 years as a prosecutor in the New York County District Attorney’s Office
- BS in Politics from University of California, Santa Cruz; JD from Harvard Law School; PhD candidate in Philosophy from The New School
- President of Sales Distribution, Executive Coach and Professional Speaker with think2perform
- Past leadership Ameriprise Financial Services, spanning 17 years
- BS in Mechanical Engineering from Northern Arizona University; Advanced Development Program, Business Administration and General Management, University of Minnesota – Carlson School of Management, Advanced Management Program, Business from Harvard Business School
- Founder and CEO, Market Financial Group Insurance Agency and MFG Holdings
- Executed the acquisition of 15 insurance brokerages and sold agency to Gallagher Insurance in 2018
- Partner in Materra, Cunat Family Vineyards, Napa Valley, VA
- Past Vice Chairman of Golden Eagle Bank, Woodstock, IL
- BA in Marketing and Public Relations, University of Wisconsin, Whitewater